I Am David Assignment

For section 1, I have completed one map, two journal entries, two pictures/photographs of characters, and two quotations. I apologize for any spelling or grammar errors on my blog, please notify me if you see any and I will change them as soon as I can. For section 2, I have read over all of my posts, and completed and posted a five-word glossary. I have already responded to Philip's and Dima's pictures posts.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Map of Central Europe and David’s Routes

The large map showing Central Europe should be below.The map of Bulgaria should be in the column.

The following is a map of central Europe in the modern day. By searching on the Internet, I found out that “Salonica” is just another name for Thessalonica, Greece (A).  With this information, I believe that the camp that David escaped from was most likely a smaller one in Bulgaria, since it says in the novel that it took David about five days to get there. The camps that were in Bulgaria were transit camps called Dupnitza and Gorna-Dzhumaya, (see map of Bulgaria) and either one could have been the camp that David was in.

From Thessalonica, David would have taken a long ship ride to Italy and most likely have landed somewhere near Taranto or Lecce (see map). I drew these lines showing David’s route because there are parts in the novel where David describes a peninsula and the coastline on his left side.  He also stops in Naples and Milan on his way northwest (he follows the coastline and position of the sun). Eventually he goes north into Switzerland, gets a ride to Frankfurt, and finally goes north to Copenhagen (København on the map), Denmark. 

As I am a visual learner, this helps me better understand how far David had to travel and the route he took to find his mother. The reason I included this map is because before seeing it, I didn’t really understand the route David took, I just knew the names of a bunch of cities and towns mentioned in the novel.  Using the scale, I think that David traveled about 2400 km on land and 1500 km by water (this is an approximation because I do not know exactly what routes he took).

Source: Google Maps. I searched “Salonica” and got “Thessalonica, Greece”.  Using descriptions from the novel, I thought about where the ship from Salonica may have landed, and then looked back through the novel to see towns that David passed through on his way to Copenhagen. I used Google Directions and the included scale for an approximation of David’s journey. The source I used to find the Bulgarian concentration camps was the Jewish Virtual Library. The images of the camp locations are from Google Maps and GeographicGuide.net. (please see my Works Cited lists below)

16 comments:

  1. Hi Erica,
    You have done your detective work as to the possible locations of David's camp and escape route to Denmark. Your conclusions are certainly plausible. Maps are detailed and clear. They add to the understanding of the scope and nature of the journey. You have documented your methods and listed your sources appropriately.
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oowowowowoowwowoowowowow oooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

      Delete
  2. this is great it really helped me with my project, thanks!
    Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOOT WOOT WOOOT YOU IZ SMARTTTTTTTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. ME FIRST LANGUAGE ENGLESH.ME LIKEYY BUK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hb\sgiurIHJBLRIHBGRWH I FIRST LANGUUGE

    ReplyDelete
  6. trolollollololololooollollololol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can somebody tell me who id david and Johannes

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

How would you rate I Am David on a scale of 1-10?