I Am David Assignment

For section 1, I have completed one map, two journal entries, two pictures/photographs of characters, and two quotations. I apologize for any spelling or grammar errors on my blog, please notify me if you see any and I will change them as soon as I can. For section 2, I have read over all of my posts, and completed and posted a five-word glossary. I have already responded to Philip's and Dima's pictures posts.

Friday, November 5, 2010

Character Pictures One: David

Here is my reflection about the picture below of David.
When I was reading the novel I Am David, I imagined David as a 12 year old boy with dirty blond hair, a largish nose, big ears, and grey, questioning, misty eyes. (Please pretend the boy in the top picture has blond hair.) I also thought that David, no matter how ragged his clothes and hair were, would always have a look of perseverance and determination on his face. I think that even the times in the novel when David was happy, like when he played games with the Italian children, his face still portrayed a solemn expression.

Mentally, David was much older than twelve, even though his body may have been that of a young boy. He didn’t understand how to be a kid (sometimes I can relate to this!) and just have some fun and relax. Also, he couldn’t grasp the concept that not everyone in the world is bad, creepy, etc. (though I don’t blame the kid for being paranoid), and that some people just want to help. What David did understand was the “meaning of life”. He understood that everybody had to die; no one lives forever.  He prayed to his God of the green pastures and rivers. He could read people, and in some cases know what they needed most. He understood suffering and pain, both physical and mental. Finally, he truly cared about the world and other living souls.

Note: I also found while searching on the Internet that I Am David was made into a movie.

4 comments:

  1. Great opinions for the I am David section on the right. Except for one thing. After you stated that the setting is not very relevant, you said that it was based around a concentration camp in Germany. Actually, the setting varied dramatically, depending on where David travelled. I do not exactly agree with that. interesting anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica,
    You have captured the essence of David beautifully. He and his story are memorable for many reasons. Certainly one of the most important is the reminder through David of what it means to be human.
    Mrs. B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, David understood the truly essential aspects of being human. Johannes must have done an amazing job. It seems incredible how both of them were able to remain human under such inhumane circumstances.
    Mrs. B

    ReplyDelete

How would you rate I Am David on a scale of 1-10?