I Am David Assignment

For section 1, I have completed one map, two journal entries, two pictures/photographs of characters, and two quotations. I apologize for any spelling or grammar errors on my blog, please notify me if you see any and I will change them as soon as I can. For section 2, I have read over all of my posts, and completed and posted a five-word glossary. I have already responded to Philip's and Dima's pictures posts.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Images versus Text

Text can describe many things, how someone looks, their surroundings, their thoughts.  A visual can portray all of these things in a clearer and more exact way. A picture is worth a thousand words.  An author cannot write about all of the exact objects around someone at a given time; the book would become very dull if the author wrote very long descriptions.  For example, if Anne Holm described every piece of furniture in Maria’s house, yes, I would have had a very clear picture in my mind, but I probably would have given up reading the book.  In a colour picture, you can see every item clearly without having to read pages upon pages of descriptions. Pictures also show more feeling than text does. You can write, “The girl was very upset and she was crying very hard.” This is better shown by an image because the image will show the girl, her body language, and the overall feeling in the room. Also, through colours and tints in an image, you can sometimes see the general mood in the room.
Sometimes, descriptions are not very accurate. You may picture a character differently than the author or your teacher or your best friend. That’s fine, but a picture looks basically the same to everybody—everyone sees the same boy with the same expression and the same clothes.  All in all, text and pictures can display many of the same things, however, pictures are better for conveying emotion, surroundings and the general feel of a place or a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How would you rate I Am David on a scale of 1-10?